One annoying thing about SharePoint, is security. Now don’t get me wrong there isn’t a problem with how secure SharePoint actually is, but with managing security.
Let’s say you have 10 sites and a user of a company who has been given, over a period of time, access to each site as a Contributor. His hard work at the company pays off and the user is promoted. How do you elevate the user’s Permission Level to Site Owner? That’s easy I hear you say, go to each site and set the permissions. But if you get a lot of these requests and you have a large number of users in a large number of sites it is going to become a big overhead.
Like with other parts of SharePoint there are tools and add-ons that can help.
One tool I have used is called Universal SharePoint Manager 2007 by iDevFactory (http://www.idevfactory.com/). Its current feature list includes:
- Environment (Farm) Reporting
- User Site Security Analyzer
- User List/Item Security Analyzer
- Permission Level Site Access
- Add User Site Security
- Remove User Site Security
- Clone User Site Security
- Account Property Synchronizer
- Dead Account Cleaner
- Site Level Reporting
- Sites Manager
- Site Security Auditor
- Site Collection Administrators
- Site Security Reset
- Site Permission Replicator
- List and Item Security Auditor
- List Security Reset
- List Permission Replicator
- Item Security Reset
- Item Permission Replicator
And the list grows. The tool is primarily a security tool but it’s features are growing fast. Well worth a look I say.